Sunday, June 7, 2020

Book I recommend for ADHD, Autism, and Sensory Processing Disorder

ADHD, Autism, Sensory Processing Disorder, Oppositional Defiance Disorder, do these names sound familiar? What exactly is your child’s diagnosis and how do you work with it? Here are the book suggestions I have been encouraged to read or have read. Each book has provided meaningful knowledge to helping to understand how my child’s brain works and how to suggest accommodations in the classroom and use these accommodations at home. If there is anything I have learned, it is that there is no one answer or person that will magically fix or aid parents in guiding their child through understanding their disorder. If anything, it has been a conglomerate of ideas that have changed and evolved as my own child has changed and evolved over time. At first it can be overwhelming with all the knowledge you are seeking and the lack of progress you may be feel like you are making. This process takes time and will continue to need adaptions as everyone grows and develops. 

I would get so overwhelmed and get frustrated at the stack of books wanted to read versus the time I actually had to read them. I started with books that seemed closest to what disorder the boys were diagnosed with and expanded from there. I also took time to read reviews on Amazon and from there I learned about other books that might be helpful and it snowballed from there. 

The doctor also provided a long list of books to read, which appeared overwhelming, so I again focused on looking at reviews on Amazon and finding which books covered topics I felt would be most helpful in getting started. I hope the books listed here will help narrow down your choices and give you the starting point you need to increase your knowledge/confidence as you help your child. I've included a few links and all books are available on Amazon.

On My Reading List:
1.       Freaks, Geeks, and Asperger by Ignite the Hidden Strength of Teenagers Luke Jackson
2.       Assertive-How Parents can Help by Peter Benson
4.       Spark- Revolutionary New Science of Exercise & the Brain by John J Ratey
5.       Executive Skills in Children and Adolescents by Peg Dawson & Richard Guare
6.       Overcoming ADHD Without Medication: A Parent and Educator's Guidebook by Natural Psychology
By Daniel Siegel

Books I Have Read & Recommend:
2.       The Kid-Friendly ADHD & Autism Cookbook by Pamela Compart and Dana Laake
3.       The Explosive Child by Ross W Green
6.       Dr. Bob’s Guide to Stop ADHD in 18 Days
8.       Building Sensory Friendly Classrooms by Rebecca Moyer
9.       Answers to Questions Teachers Ask About Sensory Integration by Jane Koomer & Others
10.   What To Do When Your Brain Get Stucks by Dawn Huebner
11.   Smart but Scattered Teens: The "Executive Skills" Program for Helping Teens Reach Their Potential by Richard Guare, et al
12.   Parenting Children With ADHD: 10 Lessons That Medicine Cannot Teach (APA Lifetools) by Vincent Monastra

No comments: